Rank the Knicks assets from a free agent perspective; balance them with deficiencies. After catching up on all the fanposts from the past week, I was wondering how everyone else would rank the Knicks assets.
Assets (in no particular order):
1. DW - proven GM with experience and professionalism. Has a plan and sticks to it.
2. DA - "player's coach" who was part of the Redeem Team in the Olympics. Has a system that boosts your stats and gets you noticed.
3. Gallo - young, up and coming player that can shoot lights out, wants to get better, especially on defense, and is competitive (i.e. wants to win), and has balls of steel. Can be a future Dirk/Schrempf combo.
4. Chandler - young, defensive stud, that has improved jump shot each year, athletic as hell, though coming back from injury/surgery, plays multiple positions. Poor man's Matrix?
5. Cap Space - you can bring a friend
6. DWTDD - young point guard with defensive skills, has a decent shooting percentage, and willing to take big shots. A poor man's Mo Williams?
7. Bill Walker - athletic shooting guard with lost potential after injuries, regaining his mojo.
8. Eddy Curry's expiring contract
9. Sergio - just cause he's fun to watch. No better 12th man in the league.
Deficiencies (in no particular order):
1. NY Media - will destroy you if you F'up (see NBA Draft 2009). Will glorify you if you kick ass (see Yankees 2009).
2. Rebuilding Team - who knows what the future holds
3. DA rep as offensive coach, as stubbornly committed to his system - does he stress defense? can he win the big one?
4. Lot of needs - need a starting point guard, shooting guard, power forward, center. We kinda got the starting SF covered (Gallo). We have a great bench (TD as backup point, Walker as backup SG/SF, Chandler as backup SF/PF).
My thoughts would be to sign Lee as a power forward and Tyrus Thomas and/or Frye as center/backup PF and pick up Gay for the starting shooting guard role. Get the Earl of Barron as a backup center. Trade for a starting point guard using a combo of Curry/cash/DW's great grandchildren/Chandler's left nut/Coney Island/that stadium they are building in Brooklyn for some crappy NBA team across the Hudson/Jerry Seinfeld/Chandler's right nut/....
Your 2010 NYK: