So, this is kind of a bummer. If you missed it, Carmelo Anthony strained his groin while running up the sideline last night (threw a ballin' alley-oop anyway), and Jonah Ballow just twat that the injury will keep him off the court for up to two weeks:
#Knicks SF @carmeloanthony out 1-2 weeks with a strained right groin. #NBA
(If you're not familiar with the parlance of the popular social networking site Twitter.com, that means Carmelo Anthony is out 1-2 weeks with a strained right groin.)
A few things...
- With Jeremy Lin stepping up, I feel a lot less horrified at the prospect of losing Melo for two weeks than I would have previously.
- That said, should Lin continue to excel, it'll be very interesting to see how Melo fits back into the offense (and super fun to hear people bloviate about how much better the Knicks are without him).
- Melo's ankle and wrist needed this rest anyway.
- The All-Star Game is in two and a half weeks. Not sure how this affects his availability for that event, but I kind of hope it does.
- Assuming Amar'e Stoudemire isn't back by tomorrow night (which is obviously completely understandable), Wednesday's game against the Wizards promises to be another wacky, Steve Novak-filled affair. I'm looking forward to it.
So, this is rough news for the team and will probably cost them some wins (which they tell me is a bad thing), not to mention more opportunities to build chemistry. That said, the timing of the injury could have been much worse, and Anthony already looked like he needed the rest anyway. Feel better, Melo, but take your time to heal (or at least do that until this magic runs out which is hopefully never because it's mAgiCaL!!!).