Carmelo Anthony was at Madame Tussauds yesterday for the unveiling of his wax facsimile. Besides taking photos and babbling about the meaning of the occasion, Melo took the opportunity to pose as his own statue and scare the shit out of tourists. Via Jonah Ballow of KnicksNow:
A few things about this:
- I can't remember if I've ever been to the Madame Tussauds in New York, but I've visited ones in other places. It's a really eerie experience. The figures are just lifelike enough to almost have the presence of human beings. When you arrive, it takes a little bit to get used to standing very close to life-size humanoids and not acknowledging them as people. Your sense of personal space gets temporarily warped, and when you leave, it makes the presence of actual people feel really strange and overwhelming (which would only be exacerbated if you're exiting into Times Square). Basically, adding this little fright to an already unsettling experience could very well scar a person for life.
- Melo seems to have played his role pretty well, but I would have preferred the following alternatives:
1. Melo stays perfectly still, but quietly urinates in his shorts.
2. Melo backs visitors down, then tries to spin and draw contact while missing an off-balance jumper. No call.
3. Melo stays still for longer, then attacks when someone inevitably makes a snide comment about him.
- The Madame Tussauds guy could not sound more like Ryan from The Office.
Good stuff, Melo. Ya creep.