That somehow Jim Dolan is a bigger idiot than we thought he was. Think about it. He’s the most vilified individual in our community (more than Paul Pierce and Reggie Miller) and the unanimous opinion is that he’s a shit-for-brains legacy case. Yet somehow, SOMEHOW, he managed to prove himself to be a bigger moron and dipshit than we thought.
How so? Read on:
(1) He proves himself to be completely unable to do any extemporaneous public speaking even though he’s the chairman of two major, major companies and the lead singer of a "band." Yet he can barely speak without looking at his feet and mumbling. He also paused, oh so tellingly, before pointing out what he is an "expert" at, if not basketball. (He says it’s managing companies. Note to aspiring company managers: step one is apparently to have a rich father.)
(2) In an interview on ESPN Radio, he says that he didn’t regret losing Lin since he would have cost $19MM next year and that would effect what the Knicks could do. First, no he wouldn’t have. Second, Lin would have been underpaid the two years before. Third, and most importantly, the Knicks would be over the cap and tax line anyway. Why not do it with a good PG instead of one that was being chased out of POR (and then give POR picks to do it)? If money is such a concern, I’m sure we could find a team president for much less than the $12MM extra that it would’ve cost to sign Lin (for just one year).
(3) "He talked about the seven something-or-other things of offense." Good attention to detail there.
(4) On ESPN Radio, he defended NYK’s Soviet-era media policy by saying they couldn’t talk about going for Jackson while they were going after Jackson. OK. But what about the previous ten years (other than Donnie Time)? Dolan’s like a petulant kid who, instead of admitting a mistake, just shuffles his feet and looks down silently.
(5) Finally, and this is what drove me over the edge, that line in Woj’s column about how Dolan gave aspiring free agents in 2010 a copy of his CD at meetings. What? Two full seasons of NYK basketball had been flushed down the toilet (not to mention the assets that had to go to Houston to get rid of Jefferies’ contract) all for the promise of the 2010 free agent recruiting. Not to mention all the season tickets sold before those meetings took place. And Dolan thinks it’s a good time to pass along his horrible, horrible CD? That’s what he thinks will impress people? Has there ever been anyone less self-aware than this joker?
In sum, when the only intelligent thing you’ve ever done in 15 years of being the principal owner of a team is to agree to refrain from being involved with the team in the future, it’s pretty clear you’re a Hall of Fame idiot.