Phil Jackson spoke to the assembled New York press corps on Tuesday afternoon to talk the draft, Carmelo Anthony, and the process of building a contending team.
- Let's get down to brass tacks: Phil is still great, according to Phil.
#Knicks Phil Jackson: "I did a great job last year."— Ian Begley (@IanBegley) June 23, 2015
- In good news (for us), Phil doesn't sound like he plans on trading the No. 4 overall pick. In other good news (for Phil), he apparently has no idea how much commoners pay in taxes:
Phil, on the percentage chance that Knicks would trade down (probably jokingly): "A small percentage. 5%. Whatever you pay in taxes."— Chris Herring (@HerringWSJ) June 23, 2015
Phil, on potentially trading the pick: "We're listening. Not soliciting so much, but we're listening."— Chris Herring (@HerringWSJ) June 23, 2015
It's good to be the Zen Master.
- Remember those reports of a private Kristaps Porzingis workout? That didn't go through as planned, apparently:
Phil said the team's workout yesterday -- reportedly Porzingis -- had to be canceled due to a cramp.— Chris Herring (@HerringWSJ) June 23, 2015
Kristaps gets cramps, LeBron gets cramps...are you sensing a pattern here?
- In a statement that comes as no surprise, the Knicks will be looking to buy their way back into the second round:
#Knicks Phil Jackson says the team is looking to purchase a 2nd round pick.— Ian Begley (@IanBegley) June 23, 2015
- DeMarcus Cousins is the story of the NBA, so it's only natural that the press ask about him. Sadly, it doesn't sound like Boogie is coming to New York:
Phil didn't want to say too much about the Cousins-Sacramento situation but said he doesn't know if the Knicks have enough to get involved— Al Iannazzone (@Al_Iannazzone) June 23, 2015
- Hey, the Knicks also have a pretty good player by the name of Carmelo Anthony. How's he doing?
Phil says Melo was on the court shooting yesterday. Says Melo also sat on sidelines and watched some draftees work out here yesterday— Chris Herring (@HerringWSJ) June 23, 2015
Watching people work out? Sounds like a pervert to me.
- In perhaps the biggest piece of non-draft news, Phil believes finding the right center is the key to moving Carmelo Anthony back to power forward:
Phil, on whether he'd prefer to play Carmelo at the 3 or the 4: "It depends upon the big."— Chris Herring (@HerringWSJ) June 23, 2015
Phil says ideally, team could find a good enough rim-protecting center -- in draft or FA -- that allows enough flexibility to play Melo at 4— Chris Herring (@HerringWSJ) June 23, 2015
- Finally, let us end with Frank Isola, who was so excited to get out his typical snarky Phil-bashing tweet that he completely forgot how English grammar is supposed to work:
Phil tells reporters league should hold free agency before the draft. Did Jim Dolan gave him $60 million to be the NBA VP of Operations?— Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) June 23, 2015
Phil will finished to talk soon. I must tweeting this immediately! I is professional writer!
Ah, New York. It's a hell of a town. Two more days until the draft, people.