Scores of NBA draft prospects held press conferences in New York Wednesday afternoon in preparation for Thursday's main event. As expected, they had some quality anecdotes about restaurant patrons throwing brownies at members of the New York Knicks:
Kevon Looney just said when he had dinner w/ Knicks, someone threw a brownie at the table and it hit a staff member. pic.twitter.com/KCPRDwJX9B— Angus Crawford (@arkcrawford) June 24, 2015
Also: Derek Fisher went over and spoke to the person who tossed it, and they were ejected.— Angus Crawford (@arkcrawford) June 24, 2015
Once again, head coach Derek Fisher proves that you don't win five rings without learning how to take charge of a situation.
Some other, non-brownie-related notes:
- As you may have heard, Kristaps Porzingis is from Latvia. I know very little about the former Soviet republic, but I'm starting to question their exposure to recent NBA history:
Kristaps Porzingis calls the Knicks the best organization in the NBA http://t.co/txxz9UQL5r— Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) June 24, 2015
- Croatian prospect Mario Hezonja is known for his cockiness, but this is just too much:
"Fuck the Knicks: I am the best organization in the NBA" -Mario Hezonja— Joseph Flynn (@ChinaJoeFlynn) June 24, 2015
(Note: that quote may not be accurate)
- Emmanuel Mudiay doesn't know whether the Knicks will select him with the fourth pick...and if he did know he'd have to tell us those are the rules dammit!
The draft mystery man Emmanuel Mudiay. Says he doesn't know if Knicks will draft him fourth pic.twitter.com/dycT7oXoyB— Ohm Youngmisuk (@NotoriousOHM) June 24, 2015
- Trey Lyles thinks he can be an asset to the Knicks; his teammates think he'll be a Knick:
Trey Lyles said he felt comfortable with the triangle in his #Knicks tryout and thinks he can be an asset there.— Laura Albanese (@AlbaneseLaura) June 24, 2015
When I asked Trey Lyles if he's headed to the Knicks, his Kentucky teammates Karl Anthony Towns & Devin Booker smiled and nodded.— Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) June 24, 2015
- D'Angelo Russell talked about playing with Carmelo Anthony:
D'Angelo Russell who #Knicks fans would love them to get - "I could take some pressure off Melo!" pic.twitter.com/s51wtjyqdC— Bruce Beck (@BruceBeck4NY) June 24, 2015
Just FYI, Mr. Beck: referring to Russell as a player "Knicks fans would love to get" is just cruel at this point.
- Willie Cauley-Stein waxed philosophical on what it would mean to turn around the Knicks:
Cauley-Stein on #Knicks: If they bring a few pieces in "you can be a legend. You can be the team that brought the Knicks back up." #NBADraft— Laura Albanese (@AlbaneseLaura) June 24, 2015
I agree with WCS on this point -- one of the big selling points of playing for the Knicks is the fantasy of becoming a Mark Messier-like cult figure by finally bringing a title back to MSG.
- Finally, let us conclude with the soothing images of Phil and Frank watching Triangle film:
Frank Kaminsky watched film with Phil Jackson before his workout with the Knicks. Yes, it was film on playing in the triangle.— Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) June 24, 2015
The draft is tomorrow. Get excited!