ESPN sources say that the Knicks have fired coach Derek Fisher— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) February 8, 2016
1. Man, I really thought Fish was shaping up to be a solid NBA coach despite an uneven, half-built roster.
2. There's still been something funky going on with the team for stretches of this season, as in this recent stretch, in which they've completely sat out halves of games. A scrappy but talent-sparse team that just can't win is one thing. A team that's not trying is another thing.
3. There had been hints for a little while now that Fisher's job might be in Jeopardy, and I think a lot of us kind of laughed at them. I suspect now that the deed is done, some unpleasant behind-the-scenes stuff is bound to come out. This is the part in which everyone buries the fresh corpse under stuff they wouldn't report before he got fired.
4. Wow, Phil. Now what?
5. Short answer: This. This is what, for the time being:
Knicks are not confirming Fisher has been fired, but sources tell ESPN that he has been. Kurt Rambis will be interim coach— Ramona Shelburne (@ramonashelburne) February 8, 2016
6. Long answer: These are the obvious names when Phil Jackson's doing the search:
Kurt Rambis is Knicks interim coach but league sources believe Brian Shaw and Luke Walton are top long-term replacement candidates— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) February 8, 2016
7. And here's the official confirmation:
Feb. 8-Phil Jackson announced that Derek Fisher has been relieved of his coaching duties.— NY_KnicksPR (@NY_KnicksPR) February 8, 2016
8. And here come the vultures!
Source close to Brian Shaw says he'd love to take the Knicks job and would be a great fit alongside Phil Jackson.— Stefan Bondy (@SBondyNYDN) February 8, 2016
Source close to Tom Thibodeau: "The #Knicks are the job he's always wanted. He would crawl to Madison Square Garden."— Ian O'Connor (@Ian_OConnor) February 8, 2016
I really can't imagine Tom Thibodeau getting the job, even with his record. He's got no connection to Phil Jackson and doesn't James Dolan still hate him?