clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Wassup In Westchester: W-Knicks is avenged by Capital City in one-point overtime loss

In a game filled with high scorers and late game heroics, W-Knicks couldn’t outlast Capital City again.

Isaac Brekken/NBAE via Getty Images

On Sunday afternoon, the Westchester Knicks (16-9) hosted the Capital City Go-Go (11-9) in a rematch of their December 27th encounter, which the W-Knicks won 104-102. And while the latest match-up between both teams was just as competitive as the first one, the final result changed as Capital City avenged their earlier loss by winning 90-89 in overtime.

For this game’s entire existence, neither team was able to create much separation from each other. Ranging from their stellar defensive efforts that forced a total of 38 turnovers and low shooting averages of 42%-37%-66% to the scoring efforts of Jordan McRae (26 Points), John Jenkins (22 Points), and Stephen Zimmerman (17 Points), the W-Knicks and Capital City were truly in it to win it.

But besides those initial offensive struggles, the W-Knicks had their chances to win Sunday’s game. Guard Kadeem Allen hit an sensational three pointer with 1.8 seconds remaining that not only evened the score, but could have given them a huge jolt of energy to take over the overtime period and win. In fact, when looking at the earlier parts of Sunday’s game, the W-Knicks led as many as seven points in the first quarter, which quickly reminded Capital City of their previous struggles from December 27th. Yet, we witnessed a game where neither team had a lead bigger than five points after the opening period.

This ultra-competitive match-up between the W-Knicks and Capital City Go-Go was ultimately decided by the free throw shooting of Capital City rookie Chris Chiozza. The University of Florida product was fouled with .9 seconds left on the clock and split a pair of free throws to win the game.

Up next for the Westchester Knicks is a Friday night road game against the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.